Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 1, Standard Process Cleanse


A couple confessions before I start chronicling our 21 day detoxification journey...

1. We had cheeseburgers last night... and potato chips. After all, bread, beef, cheese and potatoes are off limits for the next 3 weeks! But hey, at least they were semi-healthy. Except for the chips of course.

2. I wanted to quit this morning, and I hadn't even finished making breakfast. I was in the kitchen, getting everything out (supplements, carrots, juicer, blender, strawberries, flax oil, etc) thinking, "What have I gotten myself into? Why on earth did I agree to do this with him?" Not that I don't support him doing it, I just didn't really think through the implications before I committed. Like, having to do a lot more work without being able to reward myself with a little chocolate, a bowl of cereal, a turkey cheese sandwich... No, I had to suffer through this on both ends.

Oh well. I think the more I blog about how I feel, the more likely I am to stick with it. And Riley needs my support. And I need his. I told him this morning (after getting the revelation myself that I unintentionally committed to a lot more time in the kitchen) that the housework will probably be pushed to the back burner the next 3 weeks. Maybe we'll hire some help =)

I'm not really craving anything, so at least I don't have to deal with that yet. For now it's just the daunting task of meal-planning and making things yummy so we don't get sick of plain raw food and give up after 2 days. I really want this cleanse to be a success for both of us, I just feel a little bit overwhelmed and disillusioned. And it's only day 1. We clinked our glasses this morning to kick off the first day, and then I replied with a semi-cynical "One down, 62 to go." As in, meals.

My goal/hope is to just duplicate as much as possible the recipes that my friend the Mommypotamus used during her husband's cleanse a few months back. She put a lot of work into it, and I think having something to go to for tips and meal ideas will really help.

We went to Sprouts last night after our lovely cheeseburger and chips dinner, and loaded up on a whopping $120+ of mostly fruits and veggies. This will NOT last us the whole cleanse! In fact, I may even have to go back today, and tomorrow, and the next day until I can get my shopping list and meal plans more organized. Hmph. Both kids were asleep the whole time, so that made for an interesting trip!

I'm wondering what this is going to do to our bank account... trying not to think about it, since it is for own good, after all. But the supplements come with a pretty hefty price tag, and healthy food ain't cheap.  So my mantra at the checkout lane will simply be (repeat it with me) "Pay the farmer now, or pay the doctor later"!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to "cheat" a lot due to breastfeeding. Like maybe, nuts, eggs, chicken... still waiting for the answer on that. (I did go ahead and have a scrambled egg half an hour ago) I do get to skip out on 21 of the 30 capsules that have to be taken every day. Poor Riley! Just kidding, I know this is going to be great for both of us. He's probably going to drop the pounds like hot potatoes and start feeling really great in a few days! If we can just make it to the weekend without quitting, I think our chances will be higher of lasting the whole 21 days. So, we'll just have to keep giving ourselves pep talks to get through the cravings and fatigue and headaches. And this cold that I am also enduring. Why did I sign up for this again? ;)

Ok, that's all for now... my brain is functioning on less than I'm used to.


See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. you go girl! doing this together as a couple is most excellent. Chad has done it twice and I joined him the second time (modified breastfeeding version). Day 3 and 4 seemed to be the hardest for us; we felt soo good after the first week. You can do it! I look forward to hearing more about your SP cleanse journey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! We have done this multiple times and once you get past the 1st week it really does get better! I ate eggs and chicken because of nursing but didn't do nuts. I struggle with digestion issues and really wanted to stick to it as best I could. I also added a brown rice protein powder to my smoothies to make sure I was getting enough. Dr. Cindy has some good recipes on her blog too you should check out. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete