Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 8, Standard Process Cleanse






"Bananas are the real key to the shakes."

Bananas are also a real culprit in the constipation department.

So, Riley has requested I leave them out for a day or so. No problem! I tried to come up with something original last night w/o bananas, only to fail AGAIN. I couldn't take more than one sip. He drank mine and I made myself another one from a recipe. This morning I just made ours separately, his w/o the banana but the same kind-- Orange Julius. Yum! When the cleanse is over I'm gonna have to try it again but with vanilla =)

Before I forget, please learn from my mistake yesterday: Always use the food holder when slicing with a mandoline, even if you're 29 years old and think you don't need to. My thumb thanks you, and has chosen not to invite any other thumbs to keep it company in its misery. Here's what I usually do: I hold the food in my hand until it gets low and then I grab the food holder for the rest of it. Guess I didn't grab it soon enough, because I felt my thumb get a little too close to the blade. I wasn't sure right away, but after putting some pressure on the skin, the blood that seeped out confirmed that I had indeed done something stupid. So, I ran upstairs to throw a bandage on it and get back down to the boiling noodles and continue slicing away, thi time with the prescribed safety procedures added.

I ended up making twice as much as I thought we would need, which was a good thing because it was a real winner! There was enough left to send with Riley for lunch today but that's it. Julia even ate 2 bowls! It was called "Asian Explosion" inspired by my friend Heather during her husband's cleanse a few months back. I don't know what she put in hers but basically it's brown rice pasta (like spaghetti) with stir fry veggies on top. I wanted to make it interesting and colorful so I put practically the whole rainbow in there-- red bell pepper, radishes, tomatoes, carrots, yellow squash, chard, broccoli, red onion, garlic...I may be forgetting one but you get the picture. 1/4 cup coconut oil in the wok, some organic tamari on top and voila! IT.WAS.SO.SO.SO.DELICIOUS! It felt like we were eating at a fancy restaurant, except we knew it was actually nourishing our bodies. Oh my goodness, if I keep having as many successful meals as we've had lately, we may not even feel the need to add back in all the bread and cheese and beef! Oh, who am I kidding... of course we will! BUT, we'll also be maintaining the things we were missing out on before we started the cleanse.


We decided to go to the gym after dinner for some hot-tub and sauna time. Ahhh. So relaxing! It was already the kids bedtime so obviously later than I wanted to take the kids out of the house, but we really needed to go and they have free childcare so we went. First we spent 10 min in the jacuzzi, then 10 in the steam room, then another 5 in the dry sauna, rinsing off in between each. It was a real sweat fest. But, I've heard that's really good for you to detox. So, I think we're gonna do that the next two Mondays as well, which is the end of each cleanse week.

We haven't been that great about the exercise part, which is really important because the lymphatic system needs to get going so that it can do it's purifying thang. But I figure, I'm chasing the kids around all day, working hard in the kitchen, picking toys up, doing laundry, walking up and down the stairs... all that counts as a daily workout right? And Riley walks to and from his office from the parking garage so that adds up too. Plus with all the activities and events we have on our calendar this week, we should get a lot of walking in!

So, are you inspired yet to do this cleanse yourself? Or do I need to step it up and tempt you with pictures of our scrumptious meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment